Also Known a Mill
northwest of N.H. Route 120 in Meriden Village on Colby Hill Road spanning
Blood Brook in the town of Plainfield.
Style of Bridge:
Multiple Kingpost Truss
Year of Construction:
Original Cost: $685
Characteristics: The bridge is 80'0' long with clear spans of 36'9" and
29'3". It has an overall width of 16'7" with a roadway width of 13'3", and a
maximum vertical clearance of 13'3". The bridge is posted for six tons.
Maintained By: Town of
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number: 24
The current bridge is the third one on this site. The previous two were
open timber structures. The present bridge was built by James Tasker for a fee
of $465. Levi Sanderson was paid $220 for building the bridge abutments. After
being damaged by Hurricane Carol on August 30, 1954, it was repaired at a cost
of $3,000. In 1963, the bridge was rebuilt and steel beams were introduced to
carry a load of fifteen tons. This is thought to be the first covered bridge in
New Hampshire to be repaired under the state's Town Bridge Aid program. In the
spring 1977, heavy snows caused the roof to cave in. The repairs cost $8,296.
In 1985, the state repaired the substructure for $57,000. The bridge is also
know as Mill Bridge. The Meriden Bridge is listed on the National Register of