Rockwood Community Church
The Rockwood Community Church is affiliated with the United Churches of Christ (Congregatonal). It is located twenty miles north on the west side of Moosehead Lake, in Rockwood, Maine.
In 1934, Berl A. Lewis, a student pastor, was sent to Rockwood for the purpose of holding religious services. The first services were held in a community hall located in the old school building, as the school used only the ground floor, leaving the second floor to be used as a community hall and church. A fund was started to construct a church building on land owned by Great Northern Paper Company, and it was also decided to yoke the Rockwood and Greenville churches.
After Mr. Lewis left, the Rev. Leonard Fowler, pastor of the Greenville Union Evangelical Church, offered to travel to Rockwood to conduct fall services. Amidst the financial hardship of the depression, the Rockwood Community Church was organized in 1937, with a student pastor, Arlan A. Baillie, serving as guest minister for the summer.
While Mr. Baillie was in Rockwood, the congregation applied for affiliation with the Congregational Church of Maine, which was approved. At an organizational meeting, John Lamb was elected to serve as deacon, Nora York as clerk, and Clara Stein as treasurer. Membership grew, although slowly, but the hardships of the depression slowed the building of a log chapel, as well as the congregation's ability to find or hire a full-time pastor.
Several student pastors served the congregation over its first few years, but even that became difficult throughout World War II. The Rev. Robert Mayhew, pastor of the Greenville church, helped out whenever possible, cementing the yoking of the two churches. The Rockwood chapel was finally built in 1948. Designed to seat seventy people, the log chapel was dedicated on October 17 of that year, with 156 people in attendance for the ceremonies.