Stone Mountain Covered Bridge
Stone Mountain Covered Bridge is also known as Effie's Bridge, College Avenue Covered Bridge, and Oconee River Bridge. It is 151 feet in length and was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1974 as Structure #74002374.
Stone Mountain Covered Bridge has had quite a colorful past. Once known as Effie's Bridge after a local bordello, it now is part of a 3,200 acre park. There is much for a traveler to do at Stone Mountain. Other than the well known granite stone structure, there is festivals, hiking and camping, plenty of photography hot spots, and a paddle wheel boat.
On March 26, 1891 a contract was let to have Horace King's son, Washington W. King, build this bridge in Clarke County Georgia. Mr. Washington King won this contract putting in a bid of $2,470. The actual construction of the bridge didn't begin in Athens until 1892.
The bridge was used as a connection between College and Hobson Avenues, spanning the Oconee River. At first this bridge was 162 feet long and made in the town lattice design.
After the flood of 1911 the bridge was raised 8 feet to help keep the bridge from freshet damage. It was closed in 1963 due to flood damage and declared unsafe. The bridge was sold on February 18, 1964 for $1 and moved to its new site in Stone Mountain Park in March of 1965. This move cost an estimated $18,000. The move was also the reason for the removal of 30 feet of the bridge to its current size of 151 feet.